Water Resources Center Undergraduate Internships in Water Resources provide a unique opportunity for undergraduate students and faculty to become directly involved in research and educatin programs that address water resources related issues of critical importance to Delaware and the Mid-Atlantic region. (Please note that these internships are limited to students enrolled in a university or college in Delaware)
NEW – DWRC Undergraduate Internship Program 2017-18 Application – Extended until Wednesday, March 8, 2017, 5:00 PM – APPLICATION PERIOD IS NOW CLOSED.
Types of Internships, subject to availability of funds or specific project:
DWRC interns conduct a project consistent with the DWRC’s priority research and educational interests (listed below) with the support of a faculty/scientist advisor from one of our co-sponsor organizations:
- UD Water Resources Agency – Internships are supported which focus on water resource policy and management.
- UD College of Agriculture and Natural Resources: Projects are supported to work with faculty in the departments of Animal and Food Sciences, Entomology and Applied Ecology, Applied Economics and Statistics, or Plant and Soil Sciences. For example, an internship in the Department of Plant and Soil Sciences could relate soils, plants, and land management to water use and quality.
- UD College of Arts and Sciences: Students can conduct internship projects in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Political Science, Public Policy, or other subjects closely related to water resources.
- UD College of Earth, Ocean, and Environment: Internships are supported in the areas of Geography, Geology, Marine Biology and Biochemistry, Marine Policy, Oceanography, or Physical Ocean Science and Engineering.
- UD College of Engineering: Projects can be developed in areas such as Chemical Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering.
- Delaware Geological Survey: Researchers offer internships focusing on hydrogeology, ground water supply, and water quality.
- Delaware State University: Faculty support internships in the areas of agriculture, natural resources, aquaculture, and aquatic ecology.
- DNREC (Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control): Staff in DNREC offices related to water resources occasionally offer internships on topics such as soil and water conservation, water quality, and climate change.
Water resources research and education topics of interest to the DWRC include:
- Water quality (nutrients, pathogens, and public health)
- Storm water runoff (management and control)
- Water pollutants (sources, fate, cycling, and transport)
- Water supply, demand, and conservation (infrastructure/technology)
- Water policy (governance and economics)
- Climate change, sea level rise coastal flooding (variability)
- Groundwater (remediation and treatment)
- Watershed management
- Wetlands (protection and restoration)
- Wastewater management (treatment and reuse)
- Water, food, and energy nexus
Interested in a water-related topic not listed here? Questions? Contact Martha Narvaez, Policy Scientist, email@example.com or 302-831-4931.